The US Open is one of the premier tennis events every year. It features the best men and women singles players and the best doubles competitors in the sport. The US Open always attracts 30,000+ fans of the sport every single year. It is also a huge event for sports bettors. Now that Illinois is a legal gambling state, sports bettors need to know how to bet on the US Open.
This article will break down all of the basics of betting on the US Open in Illinois. We will cover the top sportsbooks to use, and how the lines for betting on tennis work. The article will also cover how to bet on US Open tennis, provide some betting tips, and recap some of the past US Opens. This guide will provide everything new and experienced sports bettors need to know when betting on the US Open.
Best US Open tennis betting sites
The US Open is one of the most popular sporting events of the year. Considering Illinois has legalized sports betting, there are several great options for wagering on the event. Here are some of the top sportsbooks available for sports bettors in Illinois.
- PointsBet is an up-and-coming sportsbook in the United States and is becoming wildly popular. This is because the Australian-based sportsbook has several great features. Its top feature, though, is its PointsBetting system. PointsBetting rewards users the more their bet wins. It is important to remember, though, that the more a bet comes up short, the more money you will lose.
- FanDuel is one of the top sportsbooks available in Illinois. FanDuel always provides quality and competitive odds. It also has an OddsBoost feature that will boost odds on certain US Open matchups. If you are looking to get solid odds or a competitive edge when betting on the US Open, FanDuel is a great choice.
- DraftKings is one of the premier sportsbooks available to sports bettors in Illinois. DraftKings has one of the simplest online sites/mobile apps to navigate. It also provides an in-depth analysis of US Open matchups. It also provides futures odds early for the US Open. So, if you are ready to wager on the US Open early, DraftKings is a great sportsbook.
- William Hill is an English-based sportsbook that has been around in Europe for a long time. While they are steadily growing in the US, you shouldn’t overlook this sportsbook. Being based in Europe means that William Hill is heavily invested in its tennis odds. This means that you can find some of the most competitive US Open odds available on William Hill.
- BetRivers is another solid sportsbook available in Illinois. BetRivers offers solid odds on the US Open and provides a smooth mobile app and online site. BetRivers sets itself apart from the competition with its rewards program, IRush Rewards. IRush is a reward program that rewards BetRivers users for placing wagers on its site or mobile app. Each tier of the IRush program has more benefits, so BetRivers is an excellent site to check out if you like promos and bonuses.
2021 US Open tennis odds
The US Open will begin on Monday, August 30, 2021. The nearly two-week event will conclude on Sunday, September 12, 2021. This is a major event in the tennis world, and like all futures bets, as the event grows nearer, the odds will lower. If you want to place a futures bet on the US Open, it is important to do so early.
Here are the current futures odds for the top 10 men and women’s singles in the 2021 US Open:
- Novak Djokovic +110
- Dominic Thiem +600
- Daniil Medvedev +600
- Rafael Nadal +600
- Roger Federer +800
- Alexander Zverev +1200
- Stefanos Tsitsipas +1200
- Denis Shapovalov +3300
- Milos Raonic +3300
- Andrey Rublev +3300
- Naomi Osaka +800
- Ashleigh Barty +900
- Bianca Andreescu +1000
- Serena Williams +1000
- Simona Halep +1000
- Petra Kvitova +1200
- Karolina Pliskova +1200
- Sofia Kenin +1200
- Victoria Azarenka +1200
- Iga Swiatek +1200
US Open tennis betting lines explained
Perhaps one of the most popular ways to bet on the US Open is futures bets. Futures bets for the US Open work just how it does in traditional sports betting. Sports bettors can wager on who will win the event far in advance for great odds. As the event draws nearer, the US Open betting odds will begin to dip. The odds change based on performance leading up to the US Open. Finding value in futures bets is easiest by actually watching tennis matches. So if you are ready to wager on the US Open winner, it is important to do it early for the best odds.
Note: All current futures odds for winning the US Open for Men and Women are listed above.
Other US Open tennis bets
When betting on the US Open, you don’t have to choose the event’s outright winner. Over the two-week event, several matches take place. Each of these matches has its odds and different bets that you can place. Here are some of the basics:
- Outright match winner: The outright match winner is set up like a traditional moneyline bet. A sports bettor will choose who they think will win the match. The odds will be set up in a typical favorite/underdog system. The favorite will always have negative (-) odds, and the underdog will always have positive (+) odds.
- Over/Under for sets: Tennis is scored differently from other sports. A single match is usually a series of three to five sets. A set can only be one by winning six games, but you have to win by at least two games. For betting purposes, you can wager on Over/Under bets for sets. Over/Under bets will set a total number of sets that will be played or how many sets a player will win by. To wager on this, you choose if the total sets will be over or under the number of sets.
- Game spread: Game spread betting works like point spread betting in traditional sports. It is designed to make wagers more “fair.” Essentially you wager on the total amount of games won by each player, not who wins the overall match. A favorite will always have games removed from their total games won, and the underdog will have those games added to their line. Example – Rafael Nadal -3 (-110) v Roger Federer +3 (-110). For Nadal to win this bet, he would need to beat Federer by more than three games. For Federer to win the bet, he would need to lose by no more than three games.
Live tennis betting on the US Open
Live betting is becoming increasingly popular in Illinois, especially since mobile sportsbooks were legalized in 2020. Live betting allows you to place wagers on events that are currently happening. This means that you can watch a US Open match and wager on it in real-time. This gives the benefit of seeing how the match plays out before you make a decision. This can also lead to some great odds for sports bettors. It is important to remember that you can only place wagers in between the action, which is typically in-between sets. Live betting on tennis also has some unique prop bets, so be sure to check your sportsbook to see all of your options during the US Open.
Tennis betting tips for US Open
Preparing to bet on the US Open is similar to the preparation it takes to bet on other sports. Here are some of the best tips for betting on the US Open for new and experienced bettors alike.
This is perhaps the most important tip as you always should conduct proper research for all your bets. Knowing and understanding stats and analytics for players in the US Open is key to winning bets. You should research how players play against their opponent, the average amount of sets played, and much more. Doing proper research may be tedious, but it will provide you with the information needed to make smart bets.
Watch tennis matches
This is probably a no-brainer, but if you want to wager on the US Open you need to watch tennis. You need to watch and understand how the game is played. You should also watch anyone you are considering wagering on to see how they look. Research and analytics are important, of course, but watching the actual game will help you understand that research.
Don’t bet with your heart
If you are a fan of tennis, you probably have a favorite player. While this is fine, you can’t let emotion cloud your judgment when placing wagers on the US Open. You need to always follow your research and not your heart. This is also an important time to say you should never bet while drunk or impaired. This will lead to placing bad wagers and losing your money.
US Open tennis results
The US Open has been around since 1881. In that nearly 150 year history, there have been many great performances and upsets. While it has an extensive history, here are the past five men and women singles winners.
- 2020: Dominic Theim def. Alexander Zverev
- 2019: Rafael Nadal def. Daniil Medvedev
- 2018: Novak Djokovic def. Juan Martín del Potro
- 2017: Rafael Nadal def. Kevin Anderson
- 2016: Stan Wawrinka def. Novak Djokovic
- 2015: Novak Djokovic def. Roger Federer
- 2020: Naomi Osaka def. Victoria Azarenka
- 2019: Bianca Andreescu def. Serena Williams
- 2018: Naomi Osaka def. Serena Williams
- 2017: Sloane Stephens def. Madison Keys
- 2016: Angelique Kerber def. Karolína Plíšková
- 2015: Flavia Pennetta def. Roberta Vinci
US Open tennis FAQ
How is the field set for US Open tennis?
There are three ways players can be selected for the US Open. 1) They have to be ranked in the top 104 of players entered in the Grand Slam. 2) Win three qualifying rounds. 3) Received a Wild Card selection from the committee.
Is tennis the best sport to bet on?
This can be subjective because as long as you are finding value bets, then yes, tennis can be a great sport to bet on. But considering the small number of matches, tennis does have a lower ROI than other sports leagues. Again, if you make smart value bets, then tennis can be a great sport to bet on.
What happens to a tennis bet if a player retires?
If a player retires before a set is played, the bet is canceled. If a set has been played, then the bet stands.
Can you bet on doubles tennis at the US Open?
Yes, you can bet on Doubles matches at the US Open. The structure is similar as you can place the same types of wagers as those listed above for Singles matches.